Cyber security researchers CloudSEK team disclosed the cyber attack and said that hacker groups from different countries were involved in this hacking and different types of techniques were used for this. The attack included a Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attack, a disinformation attack, and user account capture. According to researchers, hackers targeted more than 1,000 Indian websites.
Cyber attack on these websites
Cyber security company CloudSEK has informed all affected organizations and firms about the hackers’ intentions. According to the report, hackers targeted the website with weak security, motivated by political and religious motives on Independence Day. These vulnerable sites include sectors such as Government, Education, BFSI (Banking, Financial Services and Insurance), and Small Scale Enterprises.
There may be further attacks
Despite their current limitations, these hacker groups could become a significant threat to countries in the near future, said Abhinav Pandey, Cyber Threats Researcher at CloudSEK. If these groups get more support and are able to gain easy access to attack tools and data, the threat may increase.
In today’s digital age, cyber attacks have become a serious concern for individuals and businesses alike. With the recent surge of cyber attacks targeting Indian websites, it is crucial to take proactive measures to protect your website and data from potential threats.
In this blog post, we will discuss effective strategies to safeguard your website and valuable information from cyber criminals.
Strengthening Website Security
1. Regularly Update Software and Plugins: Keeping your website’s software and plugins up to date is essential as it helps patch security vulnerabilities that hackers can exploit. Set up automatic updates or regularly check for updates manually.
2. Implement Two-Factor Authentication: Enabling two-factor authentication adds an extra layer of security to your website. It requires users to provide an additional verification code, ensuring that only authorized individuals can access sensitive data.
3. Use Strong, Unique Passwords: Weak passwords are an easy target for hackers. Encourage your users to create strong, unique passwords by enforcing password complexity requirements and regularly reminding them to update their passwords.
Educating Your Team and Users
1. Conduct Cyber Security Training: Train your employees and users about the importance of cybersecurity and how to identify potential threats. Teach them about phishing emails, suspicious links, and the importance of keeping their devices secure.
2. Encourage Regular Data Backups: Regularly backing up your website and data is crucial in case of a cyber attack. Implement automated backup solutions and regularly verify the integrity of your backups to ensure quick recovery.
3. Promote Vigilance and Reporting: Encourage your team and users to be vigilant and report any suspicious activities or potential security breaches immediately. Establish clear communication channels to handle such incidents effectively.
Continuous Monitoring and Response
1. Implement Intrusion Detection Systems (IDS): IDS can detect and alert you about any unauthorized access attempts or suspicious activity on your website. Regularly monitor these alerts and investigate any potential threats.
2. Engage a Cybersecurity Company: Consider partnering with a reputable cybersecurity company like CloudSEK to proactively monitor and respond to potential threats. Their expertise can help identify vulnerabilities and provide proactive security measures.
3. Regularly Perform Security Audits: Conduct periodic security audits to identify any weaknesses or vulnerabilities in your website and infrastructure. Address these issues promptly to maintain a robust security posture.
While cyber attacks continue to be a growing concern, implementing proactive security measures can significantly reduce the risk of falling victim to such attacks. By following the strategies outlined in this blog post, you can safeguard your website and valuable data from potential cyber threats. Remember, staying informed, educating your team, and regularly updating your security measures are key to maintaining a strong defense against cyber attacks.